Help organizations manage finances and solve business challenges by earning one of 新黄金城xhjc官方网站's finance or accounting degrees online or on campus.
新黄金城xhjc官方网站, a private, nonprofit university founded in 1932 as the New Hampshire School of Accounting and Secretarial Science, is a recognized leader in business education. Our degrees are affordable and accredited, and you'll get the dedicated support you need to see yourself succeed.
Accounting: Accounting is more than just numbers. It's problem-solving and helping organizations manage their finances and cash flow. 新黄金城xhjc官方网站 students gain a deep knowledge of foundational accounting practices, supplemented by broader business-specific skills, which are essential in today's fast-paced world.
Finance: Learn how to help organizations manage finances and make fiscally sound business decisions as an economics or finance major at 新黄金城xhjc官方网站, where you'll have the opportunity to develop the skill set you need to start or advance your career in a number of finance-related fields.
Explore our accounting and finance programs today.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is finance a good degree?
Finance is a great degree! Finance is incredibly versatile, relevant and essential to smart business practices. Degrees in finance are staples at many institutions, offering critical teachings in financial markets, corporate finance, financial regulations and ethics, and wealth management. All organizations need departments equipped to manage their accounts payable and receivable, as well as navigate complicated fiscal policy and strategies for long-term financial success.
On a personal level, all individuals need basic financial literacy as well as investment knowledge, since long-term financial planning expertise and wealth management can drastically alter the fiduciary status of individuals.
In that sense, finance is crucial to how people and businesses function in the modern world. At Southern New Hampshire University, we offer many different ways and formats to pursue a degree in finance. Opt for our bachelor's-level finance degree, which also offers a concentration in financial planning. Or you could choose concentrations under our BS in Business Administration and MBA programs. And then there's the MS in Finance, where students can specialize in corporate finance or investments.
When choosing the degree that is right for you, you may also want to consider the type of program that best fits your lifestyle. At 新黄金城xhjc官方网站, our flexible online degree programs give students 24/7 access to course content. Our degrees are also affordable. At $320 per credit for an undergraduate degree and $627 for a graduate degree, our full program costs are as little as $38,400 and $22,572 respectively, giving students a full degree at the price that other institutions charge per year.
Lastly, 新黄金城xhjc官方网站 is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE). Our business programs are also accredited by the Accredited Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
So while a degree in finance is certainly a good choice, where you earn that degree is just as important. And if you are looking for diverse programmatic offerings, an affordable price, flexibility and accreditation, then 新黄金城xhjc官方网站 is the right choice for you.
Can I become an accountant without a degree?
While there are many jobs that can be pursued without a degree, those with the greatest growth potential, highest salaries and most flexible working conditions will likely require at least a bachelor's to start. But, in order to work in the field of accounting, there are different paths and opportunities to help get you where you want to go.
At Southern New Hampshire University (新黄金城xhjc官方网站), there are degrees at all levels of accounting and finance available. 新黄金城xhjc官方网站 offers everything from associate degrees in a variety of subjects, including an AS in Accounting, to bachelor’s and master’s degrees in several accounting- and finance-related fields.
We even offer certificates at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. If you already have a bachelor's degree in another field, a certificate may be the best option for you to break in to or upskill in the field of accounting or finance. Taking the steps to earn that credential can set you apart from your peers on the job market.
The coursework at 新黄金城xhjc官方网站 prepares you to get industry-recognized certifications. Our master's in accounting can help you earn the additional credits you need beyond a bachelor's to satisfy the 150-hour educational requirement needed for the CPA exam needed in some states. Or our BS in Finance with a concentration in Financial Planning can help you earn the educational coursework requirements to sit for the Certified Financial Planner (CFP®) Exam.
新黄金城xhjc官方网站 also provides you with opportunities to add accounting and finance coursework onto existing business degrees to help students specialize: We offer concentrations under both the BS in Business Administration and the MBA. Also, at both the undergraduate and graduate level, our accounting finance degree programs allow students the hybrid experience of both disciplines for roles that have integrations of both.
Although there are many ways to enter the field of accounting without a degree, a degree is what can set you apart. But not all paths are linear, and 新黄金城xhjc官方网站 gives you an array of options to help you find the path that is best for you.
Can I take accounting and finance classes online?
In today’s world of higher education, online classes are not only more common, they are built with intention by professional instructional designers. Each course has a subject-matter expert to ensure that all content is timely and relevant to the field. Faculty are all professionals working in the field, so they teach each course with your online experience and career prospects in mind.
Online courses mean flexibility, as you'll have 24/7 access to every course. Faculty are well versed in teaching in an online format, having undergone rigorous training for our online learning management system. Your academic advisor is also available to ensure that you are progressing in your chosen program at the pace that works for you.
In other words, every detail of online education at Southern New Hampshire University was developed with you in mind. Through discussion boards and other assignments, you get the opportunity to strengthen your skills with technology as well as communication, while learning in your main content area of accounting or finance.
While the fields of finance, accounting, management and economics (known as FAME) do overlap with some general principles, choosing to focus on one in particular can direct your overall career path. Online accounting classes are a more specialized direction taking you toward a career in auditing, forensic accounting or fraud examination. Focusing on online finance courses may point more toward a career managing investments or even applying financial analysis.
We find that while some students are skeptical about attending online classes at first, once they enroll with us, they quickly see where the flexibility and support are built in to help students succeed every step of the way.
What is the best online school for accounting or finance?
Perhaps the No. 1 quality we recommend for attending accounting school online or taking online finance courses is to choose a program that is fully accredited. That ensures that the program meets a high set of rigorous standards in terms of quality and curriculum.
A second important consideration is to choose a school with a variety of majors and multiple concentrations. This shows that the institution has diverse course offerings so that you can experience many parts of accounting and finance. It also allows you to hone in on an area of focus that could advance your career.
All programs at Southern New Hampshire University are accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE). This governing body sets forth a set of rigorous standards that must be met in order to earn this prestigious designation. Our business programs are also accredited by the Accredited Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
Given that 新黄金城xhjc官方网站 began in 1932 as the New Hampshire School of Accounting and Secretarial Science, we remain proud of that history. To this day, we remain a leader in business education. Whatever your career goals or personal interests are, there's a program designed to suit your needs.
How much does it cost to get an accounting or finance degree?
The cost of online accounting or finance programs doesn’t have to break the bank.
At just $320 per credit hour for undergraduate credits and $627 per credit hour for graduate credits, Southern New Hampshire University's tuition rates are some of the lowest in the country. We also offer a considerable discount to U.S. service members, as well as to their spouses, for both graduate and undergraduate programs.
With our cost per credit, the average graduate degree costs $22,572, and the average undergraduate degree costs $38,400. With 新黄金城xhjc官方网站, you can earn your full degree online for the average cost of just one year of tuition at some institutions. And with tuition rates that have remained frozen since 2012, we’re committed to keeping costs low so you can achieve your goals.
At 新黄金城xhjc官方网站, we also want every one of your hard-earned credits to count. With this in mind, we offer one of the most generous transfer rates of any school. You may transfer in up to 90 credits toward a bachelor’s degree or up to 45 credits toward a master’s degree.
We also have financial aid counselors and career counselors ready to offer support and information, because we strongly believe that education should be affordable. We have taken steps to put supports, such as competitive on campus and online tuition rates and professionals, in place to ensure you do not spend more on your education than absolutely necessary. We have also negotiated highly competitive rates with publishers to ensure that buying books and materials won’t break the bank, either.
How much do you make with a bachelor's in accounting?
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, accountants and auditors earn a median salary of $71,550 per year. The job outlook for people in these professions is 6% through 2028.1 This outlook is about average across all professions and leads to accounting being a very stable profession.
Some specific occupations that may be suitable for those who have completed an online accounting program are:
- Tax examiners and collectors, and revenue agents: Every business needs staff with a strong aptitude for navigating the ins and outs of the ever-changing tax code. With a median salary of $54,890, there are many opportunities to support businesses, governmental agencies and nonprofit organizations with tax preparation and advice.1 A strong level of analytical thinking is particularly helpful in these roles.
- Bookkeeping, accounting and auditing clerks: With a median salary of $41,230, this field is solidly grounded in opportunities to provide a variety of services to businesses of all types.1 These services include managing accounts payable and receivable, tracking all financial transactions and producing reports for use by various stakeholders. A strong aptitude in both mathematics and communication can help you excel in these fields.
- Budget analysts: With earning potential of up to $76,540 a year, budget analysts help organizations of all sizes develop and manage their budgets.1 Sound financial acumen is important, of course, but so are strong communication skills, as people in this role must be able to write reports and communicate their budget recommendations to stakeholders at all levels.
- Financial managers: With projected job growth of up to 16% between 2018-2028, and a median salary of $129,890, job prospects for financial managers is strong.1 This role requires a sound understanding on tax matters, budget analysis, financial reporting and more to fully support businesses and help meet their operational needs. You might work as a controller, treasurer, credit manager or even risk manager in this role.
- Financial analysts: With a median salary of $85,660, financial analysts focus on investment opportunities.1 They devise long-term and short-term strategy for investment growth and analyze national or global stocks and investment opportunities. Portfolio manager or fund manager are job titles you might expect to see in this role.
- Public accountants: This is a role that covers a broad range of job titles and incorporates many finance-related skills. As a public accountant, you could work for virtually any organization or business, including nonprofits or government agencies. You may prepare tax returns for your organization or for private clients. You may also provide tax advice to aid in business decisions. As a Certified Public Accountant, you may be about to go into business for yourself.
- Management accountant: In this role, you might work directly for the internal managers of your organization or business. You may review or devise the corporate budget and help your employer manage the costs of doing business. You may also put your finance expertise to use in this role by helping to plan and select investments.
- Auditor: In this profession, you could be known as an internal or an external auditor. As an internal auditor, you may work strictly within your organization to streamline processes, eliminate waste and prevent fraud. As an external auditor, you might work for an outside organization. You may review the financial statements and other documents of the organization’s clients to determine that all taxes and other financial matters have been filed correctly.
No matter which career field you choose, having a credential under your belt in the area of accounting or finance that best applies to you could help you earn promotions and command higher salaries over the course of your career.
Sources & Citations (1)
1Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, on the internet, at:
- http://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/accountants-and-auditors.htm (viewed June 28, 2020)
- http://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/tax-examiners-and-collectors-and-revenue-agents.htm (viewed Aug. 27, 2020)
- http://www.bls.gov/ooh/office-and-administrative-support/bookkeeping-accounting-and-auditing-clerks.htm (viewed Aug. 27, 2020)
- http://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/budget-analysts.htm (viewed Aug. 27, 2020)
- http://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/financial-managers.htm (viewed Aug. 27, 2020)
- http://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/financial-analysts.htm (viewed Aug. 27, 2020)
Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.