Whether you love numbers, enjoy diving into big data or have a passion for science, the on campus and online science majors and mathematics degree programs at 新黄金城xhjc官方网站 can prepare you to start or advance your career in any number of roles in a wide variety of industries. Equip yourself with the knowledge and skills to become an essential asset to nonprofits, for-profit businesses and governments worldwide.
Mathematics: The future of business depends on harnessing big data to make better, more informed decisions. Advanced mathematics is used to solve real-world problems every day. Get in the game with a math degree from 新黄金城xhjc官方网站.
Science: Address critical issues like climate change and natural resource depletion or explore technical, engineering or aviation sciences. Learn how to effectively manage resources, improve sustainability and care for the well-being of our communities. 新黄金城xhjc官方网站's science programs can help you jump in with both feet and develop actionable solutions.
Explore our mathematics and science degrees today.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some science majors?
Within the realm of science, you can learn how the world works as well as our role in preserving it. Depending on the area of study you choose, you could learn about climate change, natural resources or biology. You may learn how to effectively manage natural resources, improve and engage in sustainability of our environment and also how to care for the well-being of our communities.
In other words, science is powerful.
Just a few of the science degrees available at Southern New Hampshire University are:
- Biology: Studying biology allows you to lay the foundation for a variety of potential career options. Your biology degree could lead to work as a research scientist, healthcare practitioner, or teacher. Or perhaps you may want a focus in plant science, healthcare, or wildlife management. The problem-solving skills you develop studying biology can lead to a dynamic career in many walks of life.
- Environmental science: The study of the environmental science teaches you how to be a steward of the planet. You may choose a focus on how biodiversity is affected by climate change. We offer a concentration in natural resources and conservation. No matter which area of saving the planet interests you the most, the degree program to prepare you for that important work is here.
- Geosciences: This major combines geography with earth science, physics and chemistry to provide a strong grounding in the science needed to keep the planet healthy. If maps, tools and technology interest you, consider a geoscience major.
What kind of math degrees are there?
Math is more varied than most people think. There are so many ways to use and apply mathematics beyond simple arithmetic and finance. Math majors consider the future of business and how mathematics may apply to it. They also use their math degrees to solve real world problems in engineering, business, data analysis and so much more.
A select few of the online math degrees available at Southern New Hampshire University are:
- Applied mathematics: This area of mathematics uses math to teach you how to solve real-world problems. With a foundation in calculus, logic, differential equations and linear algebra, you may learn how to analyze and solve a variety of mathematical problems and how they apply to real life. Using logic and mathematical reasoning you may create mathematical proofs. This is a math foundation that can take you in many career directions.
- Data analytics: This is a logic and math-based major that teaches you how to gather and interpret a variety of types of data sets. You may also use your data analysis expertise to create reports and share findings with other stakeholders to improve business processes. A strong foundation in math and mathematical thinking is the basis for this degree.
- Computer Science: This degree program helps you learn how to solve real-world problems that are often grounded in systems science, mathematics and logic. A strong aptitude in math and math concepts helps with learning to code in different programming languages. Math skills also help with designing algorithms and with systems architecture and design.
What can I do with a math degree? Is it worth it?
Math degrees might just be the most versatile of all degrees. The question isn’t what can you do with a math degree as much as it is: What can’t you do with a math degree?
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the projected job growth for mathematicians and statisticians is 30% between 2018 and 2028.1 That is tremendous and far exceeds the national average. The median salary for jobs in this field is $92,030.1
You could apply your online math degree to work in education, marketing or even psychology. Any business that uses data – which is just about every business – will benefit from having someone with a math major on staff. Governmental organizations in particular need people able to research and interpret statistics and other data for healthcare, research and other areas of their operation.
Some selected jobs you may have as a math major are:
- Statistician: In this role, you could work in a hospital, a laboratory, for an insurance company or even a pharmaceutical company. Public health agencies and hospitals may need your expertise.
- Researcher: This is a broad job title for an in-demand role. As a researcher, your math expertise can be valuable for designing experiments and analyzing data of all types. Your mathematical knowledge could even come in handy for developing marketing strategies.
- Teacher: If you enjoy working with people, you may wish to work as a secondary or post-secondary teacher. You could teach children in grade school, or earn a master's in education and teach at the college or university level. This role could involve research and publishing as well.
What can you do with a degree in science? Is it worth it?
A science degree can take you in any direction you choose when deciding on your life’s work. You may wish to work with people, or with data and numbers. You may wish to work on a team or write reports and work independently. Regardless of the type of work you like to do, if keeping people and environments healthy is important to you, there are many online science degrees that can help get you there.
Here are a selected few of the many career options you can enjoy with a science degree:
- Environmental scientist and specialist: According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, job growth for this role is predicted to be 8% between 2018 and 2028, which is higher than the national average for all professions. The median salary for this role is $71,360.1 In this role, you might work as a climate change analyst, environmental health and safety specialist, environmental chemist or industrial ecologist. Each of these jobs involves examining environmental problems and figuring out solutions for them.
- Geoscientist: With 6% predicted job growth between 2018 and 2028, and a median salary of $92,040 per year, this future for this role is quite bright.1 And with a bachelor’s degree in environmental science with a geospatial technologies concentration available fully online at Southern New Hampshire University, we can help you get there. Geoscientists study the physical aspects of the earth. You may work as geologists, geochemists, oceanographers or even paleontologists or seismologists.
- Zoologist and wildlife biologist: In this role, with 5% predicted job growth between 2028 and 2028, and with a median salary of $63,270, you can put your love of animals, the environment and science as a whole together to help the animals and save the world.1 In this role, you might study animals and wildlife by conducting research or providing care. You may also work toward developing conservation efforts. 新黄金城xhjc官方网站’s bachelor’s degree in environmental science with a natural resources and conservation concentration can prepare you to do just that.
Can I get an environmental science degree online?
Not only can you get an environmental science degree online, but the quality of online education is very high in today's higher education landscape.
With Southern New Hampshire University, you can earn a variety of both math and science degrees fully online. Our science offerings include:
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science: Within this major, you may learn to address all manner of environmental challenges as well as how to solve them. You can truly learn how to save the world. Choose a concentration in geospatial technologies or natural resources and conservation. Both provide the skills, knowledge and perspective necessary for a rewarding career as a steward of the planet.
- Bachelor of Science in Geosciences: This major focuses on how to use technology and analyze data to learn and record all aspects of the earth and our physical environment. Choose a concentration in geospatial technologies or natural resources and conservation and apply what you learn in the field, in the lab or perhaps both.
- Bachelor of Arts in Anthropology: This degree offers a concentration in environmental sustainability. This option is grounded in natural sciences and the world around us. By focusing on environmental sustainability, you may study both the cultural and environmental challenges of society along with ethical, practical and technical ways to solve those problems. This concentration is aimed to prepare you to take a multidisciplinary approach to humankind and how it intersects with the environment.
Is math hard online?
Every major should be challenging, in that learning should challenge you to think in new ways and consider things you might not have considered before. But if you have an aptitude for mathematics and are interested in one of our online math degrees, don’t let the online format stop you. In fact, that you can earn a math degree entirely online is quite a bonus, in our opinion.
Each of our courses was designed with you in mind. Our faculty members are professionals working in their respective fields. They know the challenges of working full time and managing families and other commitments while also attending school. They are also well versed in how to take complex mathematical ideas and make them accessible in an online format. Every one of them is ready to support you in your educational and career goals.
The professional instructional designers at Southern New Hampshire University have designed the courses with you in mind as well. There are videos, discussions and many opportunities to engage with classmates and instructors to aid in learning. You are able to access your courses 24/7, and submit assignments any time, day or night. Our academic advising team is also ready to ensure that you have the support you need to succeed.
Sources & Citations (1)
1 Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, on the internet, at:
- http://www.bls.gov/ooh/math/mathematicians-and-statisticians.htm (viewed June 26, 2020)
- http://www.bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/environmental-scientists-and-specialists.htm (viewed June 26, 2020)
- http://www.bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/geoscientists.htm (viewed June 26, 2020)
- http://www.bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/zoologists-and-wildlife-biologists.htm (viewed June 26, 2020)
Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.